MAY 1, 2020
Applications Invited for Otsego County
COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Program
The Otsego County Board of Representatives is implementing a $200,000 COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Program to assist resident-renters facing financial hardship as a result of layoff, reduced employment, or non-retention by their seasonal employer.
The program will provide rental payments for three consecutive months directly to landlords on behalf of eligible households. The program will be implemented by Otsego Rural Housing Assistance, Inc., in collaboration with the Otsego County Planning Department. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Eligibility criteria include the following:
- Applicants’ annual household incomes (as of application date) may not exceed 80% of the county median (e.g., $43,600 for a household of 2 persons; $49,050 for a household of 3 persons);
- Applicants must provide documentation of job loss arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, e.g., layoff notice, notice of reduced hours, physician’s letter;
- The layoff or job loss must have occurred on or subsequent to March 13, 2020;
- Applicant-renters must have a current written lease agreement with the property owner which states the monthly rental amount – utility payments are not covered;
- Tenants and landlords must sign written agreements attesting to the terms and conditions of this assistance.
Full eligibility and application materials are available from Otsego Rural Housing Assistance, Inc., PO Box 189, Milford NY 13807 (607-286-7244), or via our web site: www.otsegoruralhousing.org.
Otsego County COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Program – Press Release